Buachaill, Lawyer
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience

Whether I need to file a Commencement Notice extension

Customer Question

Whether I need to file a Commencement Notice for an extension to a house that is less than 40 sq m (all on ground floor, no PP req'd)
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: Detached farmhouse in Co Offaly, small bathroom extension to one gable wall, entrance porch/ conservatory to back door, some internal renovations, total new construction 19.45 sq m
JA: Anything else I can tell the Lawyer before I connect you two?
Customer: don't think so
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 6 months ago.
1. This extension is exempted development within the meaning of the Planning & Development Acts and as such, it does not require the service of a Commencement Notice so long as a Fire Safety Notice is not required for the development. So, if a Fire Safety Notice is not required for the development, then no Commencement Notice needs to be served. However, if you require a Fire Safety Notice, then a Commencement Notice will need to be served. Normally, a Fire Safety Notice is not required for a bathroom extension. It would only be if you were burning something or attaching some potentially fire hazardous equipment that a Fire Safety Notice would be required. However, you should check this point.
2. Please Rate the Answer as unless you Rate the answer your Expert will receive no payment for answering your Question.