Ronan
Ronan, Solicitor
Experience:  B. Corp Law, Ll.B. Dip Comm Prop. In general practice for more then 6 years
33511193

A relation has unwittingly not paid tax on a widows pension

Customer Question

A relation has unwittingly not paid tax on a widows pension for 40 years. Is that "neglect" with no statute of limitations?
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Ronan replied 1 year ago.
I am not quite sure what you are asking here. Can you clarify what your query is?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My mother-in-law has been in receipt of an English Widow's pension in excess of 40 years. She never thought to consider it as income for tax purposes. It may not have been taxable initially. My understanding is that the Irish tax authorities cannot pursue unpaid tax for more than 4 years preceding declaration of income unless the non-payment is classified as "neglect"or fraud. Does my mother-in-law's inaction constitute "neglect"?