Ronan, Solicitor
Experience:  B. Corp Law, Ll.B. Dip Comm Prop. In general practice for more then 6 years

Pearl. Can you tell me the fee structure service?

Customer Question

Hi Pearl. Can you tell me the fee structure for this service?
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: Can I request that my question not be posted on your site?
JA: Anything else I can tell the Lawyer before I connect you two?
Customer: Sure. I am considering seeking a divorce. I am an American citizen and I have been and Irish citizen for 14 years. I have been married to an Irish citizen for 17 years. We live in Ireland. I plan to return to the US for about a year to get our divorce. I am assuming he will agree and that we can agree how to settle our property. When I return will I have any obstacles having the divorce recognised in Ireland?
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Ronan replied 6 months ago.
No there will be no difficulty in having your divorce recognised here. If the divorce has complied with all the necessary legal requirements in the jurisdiction in which it was granted there is no problem. There is no problem with a US divorce but I would suggest that you have the formal order from the US, sealed by a Notary Public before you return to Ireland