Buachaill
Buachaill, Lawyer
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I have bipolar and had a few admissions where I was

Customer Question

Hi. I have bipolar and had a few admissions where I was detained/admitted by the garda. I need to be garda vetted for a course. Do these show up or are they medical. I have no criminal record.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 8 months ago.

1. Only criminal convictions will turn up on Garda vetting. In essence, detentions under the Mental Health Acts are not a criminal matter and they will not show up on Garda vetting, as they are a civil matter and don't concern the operation of the criminal justice system. The idea behind Garda vetting is to turn up criminal issue or child issues which will concern a person's ability to perform certain tasks. However, mental health issues are not something that is being vetted for as of now.

2. Please Rate the Answer as unless you Rate the Answer your Expert will receive no payment for answering your Question.