Ronan
Ronan, Solicitor
Experience:  B. Corp Law, Ll.B. Dip Comm Prop. In general practice for more then 6 years
33511193

Car insurance/disclosure question moving from uk to ireland

Customer Question

Car insurance/disclosure question
moving from uk to ireland and will soon require an irish car insurance policy. It appears with some insurers I can carry over my NCB earned in the UK
However do I legally need to disclose claims against my policy in the UK to insurers in Ireland thus driving up cost of insurance ?
or is disclosure unnecessary given the incidents do not relate to driving record in ireland and the fact that ( I presume) irish insurers would be unable to reference these UK based claims in the event of an accident thus making my insurance still valid ?
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Ronan replied 8 months ago.
You have a duty of utmost good faith meaning you most disclose all material facts likely to affect your insurance. Your logic does not stand up, I am afraid and if the Irish insurance company became aware of these undisclosed claims they would not honour the policy