Buachaill
Buachaill, Lawyer
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I'm a u.s. citizen who was adopted in the state of maine. my

Customer Question

hi. i'm a u.s. citizen who was adopted in the state of maine. my maternal grandmother was born in ireland. i wish to pursue dual citizenship with ireland. should i hire a lawyer to help me with this as it is complicated? i have the support and consent of my biological maternal grandmother and biological mother - i just want help with navigating the process. thanks.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 8 months ago.

1. Dear *****nifer, I would advise you to make your application for citizenship yourself, unless you have an additional 5,000 euros to spare to hire a lawyer. Many thousands of people make an application for Irish citizenship each year without any legal representation. Many Americans are included in this figure. You should be aware that there are only 4.5 million people living in Ireland but there are 13 million Irish passports in existence, many of them held by US residents and descendents.

2. In your situation, you will need to make an application to the Irish naturalisation & immigration Service (www.inis.gov.ie) based on your maternal grandmother's Irish birth. Along with your application, you will need to submit your Birth certificate, your Certificate of Adoption, your natural mother's birth certificate and your maternal grandmother's Irish Birth Certificate.

3. Dear *****nifer, here is a link to the page of the INIS website which sets out how you apply for Irish citizenship by descent. Be aware that once you apply and you have a grandparent who was born in Ireland that you get citizenship. There is no discretion to refuse citizenship. For this reason, I would suggest you do it yourself.

4. Please Rate the answer as unless you Rate the answer your Expert will receive no payment for answering your Query.