Ronan
Ronan, Solicitor
Experience:  B. Corp Law, Ll.B. Dip Comm Prop. In general practice for more then 6 years
33511193

My ex partner is an alcholic drug user and is threatening to

Customer Question

My ex partner is an alcholic drug user and is threatening to look for joint custody of our baby girl. Is he likely to get it? He is not a good person and is a danger to the baby - violent, alcholic, aggressive, drunk driver
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: What other details would you need?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Solicitors generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Customer: I am worried that if we go to court he will get custody of the baby
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Ronan replied 10 months ago.

It is unlikely that the Court will grant him joint custody in circumstances where he has problems with alcohol and drugs. However it is likely this will be your word against his.

In order to bolster your case, you should ask the Judge to have the HSE conduct a Section 20 report. This is a report by the social workers into the child's circumstances and living arrangements. This may highlight the concerns you have with his violence, alcohol and drugs

The Court may decide that it is more appropriate that he has supervised access