Buachaill
Buachaill, Lawyer
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I have been sued in the family circuit court in Ireland and

Customer Question

I have been sued in the family circuit court in Ireland and I want to defend myself. I would like to understand what I have to do by way of submitting documents to the court to plea the defence?
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

1. Dear Arnie, the first thing you need to do is to enter what is known as an Appearance in the local circuit Court office. This "Entry of appearance" operates as a notice that you want to defend the proceedings. I would advise you to attend at your local County Registrar's office and ask for the Family law pack for divorce. This is a do it yourself kit for getting a divorce. It is geared towards the person applying for divorce. However, the papers can be altered so as to assist you in defending a divorce claim. Whilst you are there you should also ask for a copy of an Entry of Appearance, as this will be what you need first of all. You should then enter your appearance. Then you should prepare a defence in the Family law case. Here you should also ask the County Registrar's office as to whether they have a sample defence. Alternatively, you should amend the papers you were given for applying for a divorce. Finally, do consider getting a solicitor to merely help you with the papers. It is generally worthwhile. YOu don't have to employ them to represent you in court but you can do it on a piece work basis where you pay them for preparing the papers but do the case yourself.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

2. Please Rate the Answer as unless you Rate the Answer your Expert receives no payment for answering your Question.