Ronan
Ronan, Solicitor
Experience:  B. Corp Law, Ll.B. Dip Comm Prop. In general practice for more then 6 years
33511193

I did some criminal damage saturday night and im trying to

Customer Question

I did some criminal damage saturday night and im trying to find out if i will go to jail
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I came home from sisters 30th. I was spending time with my sick grandad that i probably saw for the last time. I got a lot of abusive messages and i went up to the house and did damage to 2 cars. I called to the house the next day to apologise and say i would pay for all the damage the car owner said he would be ok with it but the cars are involved
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Solicitors generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Ronan replied 9 months ago.

I assume you mean the guards are involved. If this is a first offence and you have made good all the damage to the cars by payment. It is unlikely the Judge will send you to jail. It is more likely to be dealt with by either a fine or suspended sentence, if you are in fact ultimately charged, which from your question is not the case presently

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok it is a lot of damage. I talked with the guy who owns the car is it up to him whether I am charged or the guards?
Expert:  Ronan replied 9 months ago.

Yes it is, it's his complaint so if he withdraws it. The Gardai will not prosecute the case.