Ronan
Ronan, Solicitor
Experience:  B. Corp Law, Ll.B. Dip Comm Prop. In general practice for more then 6 years
33511193

My mother bought a plot of land in my name 15 years ago she

Customer Question

My mother bought a plot of land in my name 15 years ago she died 3 years ago now my brother is trying to claim that plot by saying he is the beneficial owner of it can he take it away from me it is registered in my name
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Ronan replied 11 months ago.

It requires 12 years for some to claim adverse possession. What is commonly knows as squatter's rights. Your brother has nothing near that, as your mother only past away 3 years ago. If the letter hasn't worked, engage a solicitor to write to him formally and if necessary issue a writ against him for trespass to the property. This will serve first to protect your interests and ultimately will mean his removal from the lands and damages