Ronan
Ronan, Solicitor
Experience:  B. Corp Law, Ll.B. Dip Comm Prop. In general practice for more then 6 years
33511193

35 years ago, I was given a 3 years suspended sentences 250

Customer Question

35 years ago, I was given a 3 years suspended sentences for having 250 punts of hash. Is there any way I can appeal severity of sentences today? to bring it down to 2 years for my sentences as then it will be gone
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I pleaded guilty in the district court, but was sent forward to Circuit Court. I think the Garda were trying to get to my suppler. This was 2 or 3 years after my arrest. In the Circuit Court I pleaded guilty. I was sentences to 3 years, this sentence was suspended and I was sent to the probation services.I am writing to you asking if there is any way I can get this sentence reduced to two years as this would under new “spent convictions” rules mean that I would no longer have a conviction registered me.I do not know if this can be done, but wish to outline my position. I feel that the sentence was relatively harsh for a first offence, quantity of hash and arbitrary. The Judge asked why this was not processed in the districted court. The DPP did not know. This seemed to anger the Judge. He asked the Garda did I fully cooperate with them, he was told I did.He then went on to say “I’m going to give you two, No three years “and then he suspended them. I think this was arbitrary.I do not think he was given or did not give my childhood circumstances much consideration. My father (diseased) was an alcoholic wife and child beating paedophile. There is a record of a barring order and a winning case. The priest that abused ( I think my father gave me to him) me over 3 years got a sentence of six years app for abusing me and my bother. I am dyslectic and left school at 15. I all so suffer from depression and anxiety and smoking hash help me at the time. This was my first and only conviction. I have worked helping other with drug problems.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Solicitors generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law