Buachaill
Buachaill, Lawyer
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I was issued with a fine 60euro and 3 penaulty points on my

Customer Question

I was issued with a fine 60euro and 3 penaulty points on my licence to be paid in 28 days while driving an articulated truck holding a mobile phone .and also a fine of 80 euros and 2 penaulty points for driving without reasonable consideration . I was driving around a roundabout at the time ,and only took my earpiece out because i could not hear and put the mobile up to my ear for a couple of seconds ,at the time of the insident the guard said i was driving too slow around the roundabout and holding up traffic.it was on a sunday .if i dont pay this i will be issued with a summons. If i get these penaulty points on my licence i will be off the road and loose my job. Can i beat this in court .?
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 9 months ago.

1. Dear *****, I would advise you to get yourself a good solicitor and barrister to defend you in court as they may find something wrong with the Summons and get the penalty points overturned. Essentially, only 60% of Summons lead to a successful prosecution. So there are a lot of Summons which don't lead to any penalty being imposed. Accordingly, as your job is on the line, I would advise you to challenge the outcome in court. Certainly, the penalty for driving without reasonable consideration is one which is difficult to prove in a court prosecution. This is because it involves evidence of what other road users were doing at the time of the taking place of the incident.

2. Please Rate the Answer as unless you Rate the Answer your Expert receives no payment for answering your Question.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your help .i will now try and get a good solicter ,to defend me in court and as you say only 60%lead to a successful procesution. So i may have a chance to keep my job and stay driving .

3. Yes, you are better fight the issue and save your job than simply pay the price of having your job taken away because of the penalty points.