Buachaill
Buachaill, Lawyer
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

Can i change my plea back to not guilty in a before a

Customer Question

can i change my plea back to not guilty in a before a circuit court trial
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: yes its an assault case with a jury
JA: What advice did they give you?
Customer: to plead guilty as theres cctv i pushed my partner after she poured drink in my dinner in apub and she fell and recieved 20 stitches in her head.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Lawyer should know?
Customer: no just when sinnhe came in she verbally abused me. iasked her outside to talk. the waiter told me my dinner was on the counter my partner charged ahead of me and poured the drink in my dinner
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 9 months ago.

1. Yes, you can change your plea in a Circuit Court prosecution where you have already entered a guilty plea. However, be aware that upon the trial actually occurring, you will be cross-examined upon why you first entered a guilty plea so you will have to have a good response to this question. Be aware that you will have to be arraigned again in Court and the plea put to you again. This time be sure to plead "not guilty" if this is what you want to do. However, the fact you have now entered a Not Guilty plea will not affect your trial. The trial will proceed upon the evidence tendered. You will not be prejudiced by having entered a Guilty plea save to the extent that the Guilty plea and why you made a Guilty plea will be something you will be questioned about.

2. Accordingly, I would suggest you speak with your solicitor and seek to have your Guilty plea withdrawn and a fresh plea of Not Guilty entered. Be aware that this time you will have to give firm instructions to your solicitor and barrister about how you want the case run. Don't change course again.

3. Please Rate the answer as unless you Rate the answer your Expert will not receive payment for answering your Question.