Buachaill
Buachaill, Lawyer
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I've inherited 50% of family home my brother executor

Customer Question

I've inherited 50% of family home my brother executor inherited 15% and sister 50%.I''ve lived and cared for father in the home for 9 years, my father is. 4 months dead and they want to sell,I want to try buy them out but it's going to take me a year to sort this.can I make them wait.my brother the executor of the will got inheritance in 2008 from the sale of my grandparents house but is still not happy with his 15% ,have I any way of making them give me more time,they both want the house up for sale asap and won't give me any time.I live in the home with my 3 children,my dad also left me 11,000 witch I split evenly with my siblings hoping they would give me time,they agreed before I gave them the money but now have changed their minds,please can u advise me,its heartbreaking that I will loose my family home of 40 years.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 9 months ago.

1. I would advise you to remind your two siblings of your generosity in giving them more money than was there due. So sue them for the money back which you gave them. This will soften their cough and make them think twice about forcing you out. Be aware additionally that if they were to seek to obtain an Order to eject you,t hat you would still be given a minimum of three months from the date of the order before you would have to leave. This is a statutory protection given to people who are being ejected from their home. So I would say to you that if you drag out legal proceedings and keep telling them you will get out that over a year will go bye before they will be able to eject you from the property. So use a combination of both methods and in the meantime, seek out a mortgage, so you can buy them out of their shares.

2.Please Rate the answer as unless you Rate the answer your Expert will receive no payment for answering your Question.