Buachaill
Buachaill, Lawyer
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I'm trying to work out if I have a criminal conviction in

Customer Question

Hi I'm trying to work out if I have a criminal conviction in order to apply for a holiday visa to America for 2 weeks. I was told over two months ago that I would be receiving a summons for holding a mobile phone while driving and forgot to pay it in the time frame given. I know I did try but it was a day late and they wouldn't accept it and said wait for the summons. Now since I haven't received the summons do I have to say it in the application for the holiday visa of 2 weeks.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 10 months ago.

1 . Dear Shauna, getting a Summons is not a criminal offence. As of yet, you have not been convicted of anything. There is a Summons expected at some time in the future. However, this is not a criminal conviction. YOu need to appear in court and get convicted before you have a criminal conviction. Awaiting a Summons is not a criminal conviction. So you don't need to disclose this issue on any application for a holiday visa. It is not relevant. There is a presumption of innocence until proven guilty.

2. Please Rate the Answer as unless you Rate the Answer your Expert receives no payment for answering your Question.