Buachaill
Buachaill, Lawyer
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I applied police certificate from my local Garda station

Customer Question

I applied for a police certificate from my local Garda station for the consular authorities of Australia recently.
I was convicted of drink driving once in 2010 and driving while disqualified in 2012. I received a 2 year and one day ban initially then I got a 6 year ban in 2012 as well as 240 hours community service .
However when I applied for the certificate it stated I had not been convicted of any crimes while residing in Ireland.
Does a police certificate not publish these?
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Do you mean a DBS check?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ben
A police certificate is issued in Ireland for visa purposes for visiting or moving to other countries.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
http://garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=2742&Lang=1
Here is a description.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Sorry I did not realise you were in Ireland so will have to leave this quesiton but it will e open to any Irish law exerts and if someone can help they will take over. Thank you

Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

1. Dear *****, I would thank the Gardai for doing you a favour and not prejudicing your application for a visa for Australia. Essentially, all convictions, including driving bans are included in a Police Certificate when one is requested by a foreign consular office. So here, your local Garda is helping you to get your visa by failing to notice your driving bans. Accordingly, if you wish to live and work in Australia, you should consider helping out the next time the Gardai need some assistance and repay the favour they have done you!!