Buachaill
Buachaill, Lawyer
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

My name's ***** *****.I have difficulties with Pricipal

Customer Question

Hi my name's ***** *****.I have difficulties with Pricipal contractor who hasn't paid for my work
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I'm in construction industry, I carried out work for Principal Contractor last year, sent them an invoice just before Christmas 2015 and haven't got paid.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Solicitors generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 10 months ago.

1. Under Irish law, you can sue either the principal contractor for whom you did the work or else the client who has benefited from you carrying out the works. This is designed to ensure that the contractor who does building work is not at a loss due to the insolvency of their (head) contractor or if they aren't paid by their (principal) contractor. So here, you should speak with a solicitor and get proceedings issued, not just against your Principal contractor but against the client on whose building you worked. In this way you can ensure that you get payment, even if your principal contractor is at risk of insolvency. Under Irish law, contractors can sue as third party's upon the head contract under which they did the work. So here, just because the Principal contractor wont' pay you, this does not mean that you run the risk he might liquidate his business.

2. Please Rate the Answer as unless you Rate the answer your Expert will not get paid for answering your Question.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Great,Thank you.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 9 months ago.

3. Please Rate the answer.