Buachaill
Buachaill, Lawyer
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

My daughter got a letter in the post today. It's was a

Customer Question

My daughter got a letter in the post today. It's was a letter from the garda saying she has been fined €300 from the court because she never paid a parking fine that was issued 1 and a half's years ago. The fine was send to an apartment she lived in but moved out before the fine was issued . She never received the fine and can prove she was not at that address at the time the fine was sent. It she does not pay the fine she will be imprisoned for 5 days. She has contacted the Garda, with no joy, he say you pay by a date or prison?
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

1. What I would advise you to do is to get yourself a solicitor and to get the matter re-entered in the District Court to get the fine set aside and an appropriate penalty applied. Be aware at the outset, that the best that can happen is that the fine will be reduced, as some fine is going to be payable anyway because the parking fine it due.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

2. However, with the aid of a good solicitor your daughter will get the fine knocked down to 50 euros. However, you will also have to pay the solicitor 50 euros for representing you in court on the day in question. However, this is preferable to a 300 euro fine.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

3. Once your solicitor re-enters the case, it will put the local Superintendent on notice that the penalty is being challenged. So, there will be no issue about prison whilst the case is ongoing. So don't worry about this.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

4. Please RATE the Answer as unless you Rate the answer your Expert will receive no payment for answering your Question so there is no incentive to answer any further Questions.