Buachaill
Buachaill, Lawyer
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

Dear Buachaill, I am an Irish citizen resident in the U.K.

Customer Question

Dear Buachaill,
I am an Irish citizen resident in the U.K. since the 60's.
Several years ago I inherited the old home and a section of cutaway bogland (Approx 72 acres ) that my late Father had purchased from the Land Commission back in 1957.
Now that I am in the process of trying to sell the bogland, I find out that Coillte had planted trees on my property without my permission or any compensation, and since then my property has been designated as a Natural Heritage Area / NPWS (National Parks & Wildlife Service ) area. I have written to all the parties concerned and they either deny any knowledge of the situation, or want proof of who did the planting in the first instance etc.
What steps should I take next to enable me to sell or lease the property, as their is a great demand for bogland for forestry at this time.
I would be grateful for any advice regarding this matter.
Yours Sincerely
Vincent
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 10 months ago.

1. Dear Vincent, If you wish to sell or lease the land, I would advise you to speak to an auctioneer in your local area who has dealt with forestry. One general all purpose auctioneer who deals in forestry is Palmers of Dowra Co. Cavan. However, there should be an auctioneer in your area that deals with forestry. They will have a range of contacts available to them to whom they can sell or lease the land. Be aware that once the forestry is established, it is perfectly acceptable to have sheep on it to graze any grass which might grow below the trees. HOwever, sheep will eat immature forest so you should not put them on it until it is established.

2. Please RATE the Answer as unless you Rate the answer your Expert receives no payment for answering your Question.