Buachaill
Buachaill, Lawyer
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I'm dating a guy, who's Ukrainian citizen working on the

Customer Question

Customer: Hi, I'm dating a guy, who's Ukrainian citizen working on the ship in Malta. Is there any ***** ***** for him to obtain Irish visa from Embassy in Malta. And how many chances it will be successful. Thanks a lot,
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: We met in Malta, he works there on the ship. I would like him to come over to Ireland for a visit, but as Ukrainian passport citizen he needs visa. Need to know how to get Irish visa. If it's possible to get it through an Irish embassy in Malta.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Republic of Ireland Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 11 months ago.

1. YOur Ukrainian boyfriend can apply for a tourist visa at the Irish embassy in Malta to come and join you in Ireland. This will allow him to spend up to 90 days in Ireland with you. However, it will not allow him to work while in Ireland. He can only come on a visit.

2. However, if you want your Ukrainian boyfriend to be able to come to Ireland to live and work there with you, then you will need to be in a relationship for at least two years. Then he can apply, as your partner, to come and live and work in Ireland. Here the application would be made to the Irish Naturalisation & Immigration Service www.inis.gov.ie.

3. However, for a tourist visa, your boyfriend may apply to the Irish embassy in Malta and he will almost certainly be granted. Ukrainian citizens are rarely refused a visa for Ireland. So long as he can show he intends to return out of the country once the visa is up, he will get a visa. Accordingly, if he has a job on a ship, he can show he needs to return for work to the ship.