How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask EULawyer Your Own Question
EULawyer, Lawyer
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Satisfied Customers: 235
Experience:  Titular Attorney (Avocat) at Ioan-Luca Vlad Law Office
Type Your Republic of Ireland Law Question Here...
EULawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I got a girl pregnant over seas and didn't know about it

Customer Question

If I got a girl pregnant over seas and didn't know about it let say in 10 or 20 years time could the child come and claim right to my farm and take it from me
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  EULawyer replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

I am sorry for your situation. The answer to your question is no, the child would not have a direct right to your property.

There are two rights that the child has, only once paternity has been established either through your official admission or through the courts:

-> the right to material support from you; and

-> the right to inherit you.

The right to material support is only granted in circumstances where the child needs it, and requests it (through the mother) through the courts. After 18 years of age, the circumstances change, and this right does not normally exist (there can be an obligation of support even at a higher age, but then it depends on real hardship).

In an extreme circumstance, if child support is ordered by the courts and you do not pay, your farm may be taken and sold to pay for the arrears. But this would be an extreme circumstance, and normally the entire issue would revolve around monthly payments, adapted to the child's needs and your means.

I hope this has answered your question and look forward to your rating, which is essential to my activity.


Dr I L Vlad