Ronan
Ronan, Solicitor
Experience:  B. Corp Law, Ll.B. Dip Comm Prop. In general practice for more then 6 years
33511193

I was breathalysed in mid 2013.No crash or injuries or 3rd

Customer Question

Hi.I was breathalysed in mid 2013.No crash or injuries or 3rd party was involved.It was my first offence,reading was 147.I was convicted approx St Patricks day 2015,fined 300 with loss of licence for 2 years.
In light of the recent loophole regarding Irish language print-out,do I have any grounds to re-apply to the court to have my conviction overturned?
Regards,Aidan
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Ronan replied 1 year ago.

No you don't. Firstly you have to make the application to appeal within 14 days of the conviction. If this is not done, you must apply to for a extension of time for leave to appeal in the District Court. If you make such an application on the basis you wish to argue the Section 13 Irish language point made of the most recent DPP v. Avadenei. The District Court will have to refuse the application on the basis that the point was not argued at the original hearing of the case

Expert:  Ronan replied 1 year ago.

It is also worth noting that the loophole has since been closed by way of a Statutory Instrument and that also that the DPP is considering an appeal to the Judgement