Buachaill
Buachaill, Lawyer
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I am a UK resident. If an Irish Speed Camera Van clocks me

Customer Question

I am a UK resident. If an Irish Speed Camera Van clocks me speeding, does that mean I will lose points on my UK licence.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me add, that I haven't been caught speeding before and it is a first time offense.However, I was driving considerably over the speed limit.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

1. Yes, if you get points nowadays in Ireland, it will affect your UK licence. Since 2011, Irish speeding fines and points on your licence now affect you in the UK following an EU measure which now means that points now follow the licence across the border between Ireland and the UK. So, if you get points on your UK licence in Ireland, they will affect you and be implemented in the UK.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But I thought the UK, Ireland and Denmark had opted out of this?:
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

2. Ireland and UK form a common travel area and are outside the Schengen area, but they implemented their own separate measure at the same time. This is common in all Justice issues which arise in the EU and which the UK opts out of the general measure.