Buachaill
Buachaill, Lawyer
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I was arrested under suspicion of drink driving on 15th of

Customer Question

Hi i was arrested under suspicion of drink driving on 15th of June and failed the test,I have since moved abroad 4 work reasons,the Guardia have not came 2 my last address with any summons yet,I no they have 6 months from the date in question 2 apply*****4 summons,I want 2 no how long do they legally have 2 serve the summons upon u,I have notified them of my new address abroad.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

1. A Summons for drink driving is valid for 12 months from the date of issue. It can be served any time within this 12 month period. At the end of the 12 month period the Garda has to apply to renew the Summons, which will be for another six months. Whilst one renewal is always given in relation to a Summons, if the Summons has not been served after 18 months, it gets progressively more difficult to renew the Summons as the District Court is not minded to grant a further renewal. The Summons can be served at any time so long as the Summons is valid at the date of service.