Buachaill
Buachaill, Lawyer
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I bought a investment property, a house in flats with shop

Customer Question

I bought a investment property, a house in flats with shop on ground floor, before I got married.
If we divorce is my wife entitled to half of it?
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

1. On a divorce, your wife is not entitled to half your assets. she is only entitled to have "proper provision" made for her. So, this means that she will get somewhere to live and enough to live on. It does not mean she will get half your assets. However, all your assets, whenever obtained, fall into the mix. The court can make an order in relation to any asset, whenever obtained. So these assets you got before you were married fall to be adjudicated upon. However, in most instances, the wife gets a house and some capital sum to live off. Not all assets such as you have.