Ronan
Ronan, Solicitor
Experience:  B. Corp Law, Ll.B. Dip Comm Prop. In general practice for more then 6 years
33511193

My 18 year old son caught with 3.1 kg cannabis herb which

Customer Question

My 18 year old son caught with 3.1 kg cannabis herb which gardai have estimated street value of 62000. This was his first ever offence. What are his chances of going to prison
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Ronan replied 1 year ago.

If he s convicted he is almost certainly going to prison. S.15A into the Misuse of Drugs Act, 1977 which introduced the specific offence of possesions of drugs with a market value of over 10,000 Irish Pounds, and applied a mandatory minimum sentence of 10 years with respect to these offences. However S.27(3)(C) of the Misuse of Drugs Act,1977, as amended, does leave an element of discretion to the trial judge to impose a lesser sentence in certain circumstances.