Buachaill
Buachaill, Lawyer
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I have received a summons regarding an unpaid parking fine?

Customer Question

I have received a summons regarding an unpaid parking fine? What are my options?
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

1. Obviously, your options are to pay the fine and any court costs or else to defend the Summons. However, there is only really any point in defending the Summons if you have good grounds to do so. There is little point in going to court and employing a solicitor to defend a Summons if you are going to lose. That is a waste of time. Most District Court judges only listen to defences in parking fine cases which show that a parking charge was not legal. Otherwise, the Court functions as a sentencing chamber and dishes out the fines!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do i have to attend
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

2. No, you don't have to attend. However, be aware that the fine is usually lower if you appear with legal representation. About 30% lower.