EULawyer
EULawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Titular Attorney (Avocat) at Ioan-Luca Vlad Law Office
84559455

My solictor is demanding 30,000 arising from a divorce case.

Customer Question

My solictor is demanding 30,000 for fees arising from a divorce case. I had to settle on advice as my case was only listed for maintainence for our son and not for a divorce settlement I only got 60,000 which was due in back maintainence. I was not given nor have I signed a section 68. the law society have rejected my complaint about fees without addressing any other concerns. I am a single parent who is self employed with Mortage arrears and I cannot pay or afford another solicitor
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  EULawyer replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

I am very sorry for your situation. What you can do, after the reply of the Law Society, is (within a year of receiving the bill) to ask your lawyer to present the bill to a so-called 'Taxing Master' (this he must do once requested).

The 'Taxing Master' is a kind of judge who has, through precedent, created a way of appraising the value of attorney's work. More details are found here: http://www.courts.ie/offices.nsf/lookuppagelink/8AFDD6975A6F081380256E7B004D9971.

Also, if you are unhappy with the way the Law Society investigated your case, you can make a complaint to the Independent Adjudicator (https://www.lawsociety.ie/Public/Complaints-against-solicitors/Independent-Adjudicator/). Note that this does not review the case on the merits (i.e. he will not deal with the cost itself), just the way the Law Society treated your case.

I hope this information helps, and that you will find these two procedures useful. I look forward to your rating.

Cordially,

Dr Ioan-Luca Vlad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm afraid this is not very helpful and all standard information that is available already. I was hoping for more information on not receiving a section 68
Expert:  EULawyer replied 1 year ago.

I am very sorry I was not able to provide more information. Please feel free not to rate my question. It will disappear and you will not be charged for it.