Buachaill
Buachaill, Lawyer
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I met an american woman on line we met and reluntailey i bought

i met an american woman on line we met and reluntailey i bought her an ingagment ring
we never discussed getting married ,she moved to ireland we dident get on well
after after ten months she got pregnant ,and after a month she left has she aney claim other than maintance for the child
1. Under Irish law, you would have to have been living together for two years in order that this lady acquired rights in addition to the right of maintenance of her child. Here, as you only spent 10 months together, the terms of the 2010 Civil Partnership & Right of Cohabitants Act does not apply to you both. However, I would advise you to get some advice about US law, as this lady might seek an order in the US and then seek to enforce that order in the Irish courts. She is not limited to solely applying in Ireland, as she will probably rear the child in the US. So you should seek advice on the law of the US state in which she resides with the child as this is the other legal system which might apply.