Ronan
Ronan, Solicitor
Experience:  B. Corp Law, Ll.B. Dip Comm Prop. In general practice for more then 6 years
33511193

Is there any way I can remove my information from the ICB

Customer Question

Hi. Is there any way I can remove my information from the ICB database. Or at least have the information changed. I want the bank to show the last 2 years payments were made as agreed after some missed payment. Thanks
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Ronan replied 1 year ago.

You can't have it changed unless it is incorrect.

However if you have made the last 2 years payments with out default then that is what it should show presently. Notwithstanding this, if there was earlier defaults these will be shown as it shows a record for 5 years

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The information is incorrect so I want to get it updated but it very hard to get anyone to talk to me in the bank. They say it is all automatic information sent to the ICB but I have 3 reports that are very different.

I missed payments in 2012/2013. Then the loan was moved to recoveries.

I have paid the agreed amount for the last 18 months - but the ICB report says there are 9 months in arrears on each month for the last 24 months. The report shows the previous 24 months.

Can I get them to change this to say the term was revised 18 months ago? and each month is payed up to date.

I did say I could pay the arrears.

Thanks
Expert:  Ronan replied 1 year ago.

. If you have 3 different reports then it sounds like a error on the Irish Credit Bureau side. You should go back to them and showing all 3 report and asking for their definitive one.

It doesn't necessarily sound like it is incorrect from what you say. If the arrears outstanding remain outstanding they will appear in each subsequent month until brought up to date notwithstanding that you make that particular months payments. You should contact the bank and get written confirmation of the new agreement and confirmation that all payments are up to date since introduced. The ICB can change details thereafter

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi.

Thanks.

There are arrears and I asked if I could pay them at the time and not be put on the ICB.

The first thing is I don't agree with the number of arrears they have on the report. How can I dispute it.

The second is can I pay the arrears and then them update the report to say it is all up to date since term revised.

Expert:  Ronan replied 1 year ago.

You need to clarify with the bank and have them revert to the ICB in relation to the error for the arrears. They are obliged under the Data information Act to correct any inaccuracy in relation to your credit and you can pursue this with the Data Commissioner

In relation to paying the arrears. they cannot simply remove the miss payments fro the system unless there has been some genuine error. Otherwise this would be false and misleading. If payment were missed and there is some legitimate explanation/genuine error for it they occurring. They will not be changed by the bank

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If I pay the arrears then can they not be removed? Is it not misleading to still have for example 6 months arrears on each month if I have paid the arrears and then also paid the last 18 months are paid with no problem.

I want to apply for other loans so want the report to show I have no issues in the last 2 years.

Also I have tried to contact the bank and they will just not talk to me about errors in the amount of arrears. It is impossible to get them to check it.

thanks

Now the report says every month I have 9 months arrears.

Expert:  Ronan replied 1 year ago.

No its not misleading if the payments were missed at the time they were suppose to be paid. The arrears remained in place for 9 month and then were discharged and that what the credit

If bank won't respond, you should write to them formally and copy the letter to the Financial Service Ombudsman and the Irish Bank Federation

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry I dont understand this.

he arrears remained in place for 9 month and then were discharged and that what the credit...

So it will always say 9 months arrears on every box of the report even if I have had no issues with the new arrangement for the next 4 years until it is paid?.

Expert:  Ronan replied 1 year ago.

"Credit bureau records"

Yes, it will say this unless you have cleared the new arrangement with the bank. If you have you need to revert to them on this point

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.

What does this mean.

"If you have you need to revert to them on this point"

Is there anything I can do to make the credit problem look better. I missed some payments because I had to close my business and went back to my old job. I did not miss any other loans. I am paying back now for 2 years.

I need to get a mortgage which I can easily afford with my wife but this ICB report is the only problem.

Expert:  Ronan replied 1 year ago.

You need to contact the bank, if you have a written agreement with the bank. You need to revert back to them

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi.

I have an agreement for 12 months and have paid this. I still have the arrears which I want to pay so it is taken off the ICB but they will not allow this.

I have another 3 years to pay before the loan is paid.

I just want to make the report look ok so I might get a lender to see I have no issues for 2 years...is there anything you can suggest.

Expert:  Ronan replied 1 year ago.

Bring the arrears up to date and it will stop showing up going forward. If you can't do this, see if you can refinance with another bank or even your own bank

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

They are showing the full loan is now in arrears until I pay it all off and for 5 years after that.

I am not able to refinance.

It there anything I can do to dispute as I asked not to have the loan moved to the ICB and I could pay what was due at the time.

Thanks

Expert:  Ronan replied 1 year ago.

No there is nothing to dispute, you accept you missed the repayments. It is thefore the correct information retained by th ICB

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes. But i asked to pay the arrears and restructure the loan before I was moved to the ICB.

they did not do that.

Expert:  Ronan replied 1 year ago.

Nor were they obliged or required to do it

Expert:  Ronan replied 1 year ago.

You had agreed terms with the bank. They are under no obligation to refinance loans or amend terms. They often do in the interest of business but there is no obligation on them to do so

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I know they dont have to restructure but I am looking for anyway to ammend.

Can I ask them to put a note on the account/ICB to clarify? The bank say the show the full amount is in arrears , all repayments, even though I missed only a few.

thanks

Expert:  Ronan replied 1 year ago.

You'd need to talk to the bank. They hold all the cards here and are correct in law

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes they will not do anything. i have asked many times.

Expert:  Ronan replied 1 year ago.

Well you can complain them to the Financial Ombudsman but I don't believe you have any grounds for same