Ronan
Ronan, Solicitor
Experience:  B. Corp Law, Ll.B. Dip Comm Prop. In general practice for more then 6 years
33511193

My wife and I were both arrested and charged with sec 2

Customer Question

My wife and I were both arrested and charged with sec 2 assualt after incident in a Dublinbar. We were individually shown CCTV footage and both admitted to the offence. We are NI resident and bailed to appear in district court on 2nd Oct.
Our intention is to plead guilty and we have no previous offences. therefore did not seek legal representation.
However our charge sheets state the same person was assaulted by both of us and this was not the case... I believe the CCTV images show two separate 'victims'.
Am I entitled to obtain CCTV evidence prior to pleading? I would rather plead guilty if I was confident of a lenient sentence however if there is any potential for a more serious outcome I would like to understand my options. Thanks.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Ronan replied 1 year ago.

Yes, you can seek a Gary Doyle order on the 2nd October requiring that the State furnish all statements, CCTV footage and other evidence they propose to rely on in your prosecution. This will not prejudice you in terms of offering a guilty plea at a later date. However any assault charge is serious and in those circumstances you would bought be well advised to get a solicitor for the case