Ronan
Ronan, Solicitor
Experience:  B. Corp Law, Ll.B. Dip Comm Prop. In general practice for more then 6 years
33511193

I need to get a copy of a will My brother passed november

Customer Question

I need to get a copy of a will My brother passed november 2014 how do I find out who is the solictor
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Name of deceased is James Fay from co Cavan passed Nov .2014
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I live in the United States of america
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
a person in my family is refusing to give me any info concerning his estate I need to get the solicitors name. I was his only living brother He had no children and his wife passed over 10 years ago. All other close family members deceased
Expert:  Ronan replied 1 year ago.

If a will exist for your brother, which may not. There are two possibilities.

One, the will has been proven at the probate office and is now a matter of public record. In this case if you contact the centre probate office in Dublin. They will be in a position to furnish you with a copy of the grant of probate together with the will attached.

The second possibility, is that the will exist but is not yet been proven to the probate office. Unfortunately there is no national wills register. Therefore the only way to establish where the will is to write to all the local solicitors in the area or any other solicitors that your brother had dealings with. However if you do locate at the will, unless you are the executor named in that will, the solicitor will not be in a position to give you a copy of it. The solicitor is obliged to act under the instructions of the executor and you will have to speak to them in order to get a copy of the will