Ronan
Ronan, Solicitor
Experience:  B. Corp Law, Ll.B. Dip Comm Prop. In general practice for more then 6 years
33511193

Want on earlier query - do I need to resubmit query Lj

Customer Question

Want to follow up on earlier query - do I need to resubmit query
Lj
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I called into Tesco's yesterday with my daughter who wanted to get some makeup and odds and ends for a post Junior Cert party. I gave her €20 and sat in the Costa area while she went shopping. She had no bag or trolley and when she became overloaded put some items in her pockets. A security man approached her accused her of shoplifting, ordered her to pay up and go. She did and then met me in the Costa area - she was very upset and didn't want me to complain. My problem is that I wasn't approached by anyone from Tesco - the Costa area is located near the in store CTV system, the security man made an assumption about what might happen as at the time he intervened my daughter had neither paid for the goods nor attempted to leave the store. She doesn't want to go back and I am wondering what I can do. I suspect that in her haste to leave she didn't get a number of the two for one items on offer and am going to check her receipt against the offers tomorrow morning.
Regards
Lj
PS having trouble signing in
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
tried to sign in again but can't and have already made the required €30 deposit
Expert:  Ronan replied 1 year ago.

Not alot you can do legally. If the security man did this within earshot of members of the public. You may have a potential defamation action on behalf of your daughter. This would be very limited in terms of damages on foot of the limited and transient nature of the dismination of the defamatory comment. Beyond this you can lodge a complaint with the shop. I m not sure what relevance of 2 for 1 offers are in relation to the incidence? You might expand on this if necessary

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just that a number of items were on offer at a two for the price of one but my daughter only got one item.
Expert:  Ronan replied 1 year ago.

She d need to purchase both items in order to benefit from offer. I'm sure they'll honour the offer if there is a discrepancy in the purchases