Buachaill
Buachaill, Lawyer
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

Ronan Can you tell me if an executor has any obligation to

Customer Question

Hi Ronan
Can you tell me if an executor has any obligation to provide a copy of a will to a prior joint beneficiary who has now been excluded entirely in a more recent will? And is there a time limit to challenge this. Incidentally neither I nor the other party - now the main (sole?) beneficiary - or direct family as the deceased has now children and his wife is dead.
JS
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

1. At the outset, a will is a private document and other parties have no right to obtain a copy of it until after a person dies. Even after a person dies, it is only the residuary legatee who is entitled to be given a copy by the executor. Otherwise, everyone else has to obtain a copy when it is published in the Probate Office after a will has been admitted to probate. Here, where a will has been revoked, none of the potential beneficiaries has any right to obtain a copy of the revoked will. The law just does not give one person a right to pry into the affairs of another person. Additionally, until a person dies, a named executor has no powers in relation to the will. So an executor most certainly could not go round handing out copies of a revoked will, I regret to say. Finally, the law does not give anyone the right to contest a revoked will, I regret to say. It is only the will at the date of death that can be challenged.