Buachaill
Buachaill, Lawyer
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I got my car impounded while it was on the way to mechanic.

Customer Question

Hi, I got my car impounded while it was on the way to mechanic. It is just bought, no tax, nct or insurance. Problem is, I cannot get insurance asap as I am from another country and my license was stolen there a year ago with other documents and I am still struggling to get it back to me. Can I get my car towed out of impound to said mechanic or what are my options? I understand there will be court and I will have a fine, which is ok. Just need to get that car out of there
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

1. Once you pay the fee to the pound, there will be no difficulty in getting the car towed away. Obviously, without insurance, you cannot drive it away from the pound. So get the mechanic to come bye the pound after you pay the necessary fee and there will be no problem in removing the car from the pound. Secondly, there will not necessarily be court if you were merely towed because of a parking fine. It is only if your car was impounded for non possession of insurance that you will have problems. The Gardai have a statutory power to impound any car without insurance and to take it off the road. The car is then only released once insurance has been produced by the driver. However, the outcome here depends upon what you got towed for. If you want to provide additional details, I will assist further.