Buachaill
Buachaill, Lawyer
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I have been charged with drinking whilst driving in January

Customer Question

I have been charged with drinking whilst driving in January 2015 I have been called to appear in court in September I have been advised through my insurance company that I was involved in an accident and the person that I allegedly hit has filed a personal claim against I genuinely have no memory of hitting any body I have a solicitor and barrister on the case and I know that I am going to be charged with leaving the scene of the accident any advice
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. I regret to say that it does not help your case that you have no memory of having hit someone. You will need to get some evidence in your favour or else you are looking at a conviction in a District Court setting. I regret to say that all District Court judges take a dim view of anyone suspected of drink driving who cannot remember hitting someone. in such circumstances, a District Court resembles a sentencing tribunal. 2. Depending on the injuries, you can expect a driving ban of 3-4 years, for hitting someone, as well as a fine in the region of 6-800 euros. An automatic drink driving ban of a minimum of 2 years applies, but in your case this will probably run concurrently with the bank for leaving the scene or for reckless driving. If you want to provide any further information, I will be happy to help further.