Ronan
Ronan, Solicitor
Experience:  B. Corp Law, Ll.B. Dip Comm Prop. In general practice for more then 6 years
33511193

My ex-husband and I would like to give our house (in County

Customer Question

My ex-husband and I would like to give our house (in County Clare, Republic of Ireland) to our 19 year old son. My ex-husband still lives in the house - and would continue to do so - but is happy for it to be gifted to our son. Would this be legal? If so are there any costs involved and how would the transfer be effected?
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Ronan replied 1 year ago.
Yes it is possible. You can gift the property to your son with your ex spouse retaining a right of residence in the property for the remainder of his life. The costs of such a transfer would be in the region of €1,500.00 to €2000.00. You will both need separated legal representation in relation to the transaction. You should contact solicitors in the local area to assist you