Ronan
Ronan, Solicitor
Experience:  B. Corp Law, Ll.B. Dip Comm Prop. In general practice for more then 6 years
33511193

I was caught . Do i have to tell my employer?

Customer Question

I was caught for shoplifting. Do i have to tell my employer? Will the guards tell them and lastly can the shop tell them?
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have no criminal record and was never in trouble before. Am I entitled to privacy. The shop said I have been doing it a long time but I was never stopped before. Where do I stand please.
Expert:  Thegonnec replied 1 year ago.
Unless the shop is in business with your employer, this is strictly a private matter. If summoned to court, you need not inform your employer on theater of the case.What may happen, but is highly unlikely in such a case, is that the garda could make enquiries about yourself and thus contact relatives, friends, colleagues...Thus, if your contrat of employment does not require a police clearance, and the shop does not do business with your employer, he has no reason to hear about it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks for your reply - you state that unless the shop is in business with my employer it is a private matter. My employer provides insurance services for the shop ie looks after insurance for them - does this mean they would be in business together? I'm very anxious to hear a reply.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I presume if your in business together you making profit together - my employer provides a service to the shop so I presume that would not be in business together. Please advise
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your reply. I'm nervous now as the shop does business with my employer what should I do? Does the shop have to tell my employer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.