Ronan
Ronan, Solicitor
Experience:  B. Corp Law, Ll.B. Dip Comm Prop. In general practice for more then 6 years
33511193

I've got a friend who depends on rent allowance and

Customer Question

Hello! I've got a friend who depends on rent allowance and is in urgent need of accomodation. However, most landlords do not accept people without work references, so he's at risk of getting homeless. I'm thinking of acting as a guarantor, signing a form in which I agree to pay his rent for a certain amount of time in case he can't. This seems to be common practice in other countries but not so much in Ireland. Is there any advice you can give me around this? Are there forms I could use? Thank you!
Liz
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Ronan replied 1 year ago.
This is a practice that is certainly used in Ireland for commercial matters. In residential setting, the Landlord would have to agree to accepting such a guarantee, which they are unlikely to do, I suspect. If they are willing to accept it, the guarantor (you) will need to produce work reference, bank acccounts which illustrate an ability to pay, Identification etc.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, Ronan!

If I use a form or template that's used in other countries for similar purpose (often parents sign such an agreement for their kids), that should be fine, right?

I'm not sure it will help my friend, but given the situation in Ireland and the rise in homelessness, I'm eager to find solutions, even if they're not common.

Best, Liz

Expert:  Ronan replied 1 year ago.
There are plenty of templates for guarantor's available. The one you are proposing sounds fine with the appropriate modifications. The big element will be getting the Landlord to accept such a guarantee