Buachaill
Buachaill, Lawyer
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I have been advised by my bank that sensitive, financial and

Customer Question

I have been advised by my bank that sensitive, financial and personal information has been sent to another person in error. They further advised that they have informed the Data Commissioner of this. This has caused me great stress and upset, I am totally devastated. What legal remedy or should I say remedies are available to me.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. You can sue the bank for damages. You would have a cause of action for breach of confidence, breach of privacy, negligence, breach of duty and breach of statutory duty under the Data Protection Acts. Be aware that damages for this type of case are quite high, particularly if you can show some consequential loss resulting from the unlawful disclosure. So, once you issue legal proceedings, you should immediately issue a Notice for Discovery to find out to whom was the information disclosed as there may be further consequential loss and damage you are as yet unaware of. So get yourself a solicitor and get proceedings issued.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply, however I would need to speak to you on the telephone in order to adequately explain the background to what has become a complex situation.
contact number: International :00353872552031, National(###) ###-####
Thanking you,Pat