Ronan
Ronan, Solicitor
Experience:  B. Corp Law, Ll.B. Dip Comm Prop. In general practice for more then 6 years
33511193

My father worked Brewery in Ireland 30

Customer Question

My father worked for Guinness Brewery in Ireland for over 30 years as a painter. He died in 1993 of emphysema and chronic lung disease. He was 65 years old. He had been retired due to ill health since he was 57 years old.
Guinness's told my Mother she should sue them as the vapours from the spray paint he was using contributed to his illness. They had insurance for this purpose. My Mother refused, as Guinness's had always been a very good employer.
My question is, could I, as a surviving daughter of his, initiate a suit now?
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Ronan replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, you are long since statute barred at this point.
In essence, one has a period of two years from the date on which the cause of action accrued, ie the accident, or from when the party taking the claim had the requisite knowledge.1 Section 50 of the Personal Injuries Assessment Board Act 2003 provides that the limitation period of two years stops running when a claim has been received by PIAB. The statute period will start running again six months after PIAB issues authorisation to proceed to the courts.