Ronan
Ronan, Solicitor
Experience:  B. Corp Law, Ll.B. Dip Comm Prop. In general practice for more then 6 years
33511193

Can my new emplyer change my hours without my permisio,

Customer Question

Hi, can my new emplyer change my hours without my permisio, if i worked for 8years with min 30h.and now they cut down to 20.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 years ago.
1 Any change in the rates of pay or hours worked can only take place with the consent of the employee save where economic conditions mean that the company has to retrench. Accordingly, if your employer has reduced your hours but no one else in the firm, then this is unlawful. HOwever, if the firm is doing badly and there are no longer able to trade effectively so they have to cut back staff, then they will be allowed to do so as economic conditions have got worse for the firm. Be aware that you can make a complaint to a Rights Commissioner if your hours have been unlawfully reduced. The Rights Commissioner will then make an order reinstating your hours and providing for compensation for any harm caused.