Buachaill
Buachaill, Lawyer
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

My ex obtained a divorce in the US while I was resident in

Customer Question

My ex obtained a divorce in the US while I was resident in Ireland. I tried to challenge it but was not able to attend the court proceedings. The US court made a very unfavourable decision towards me regarding maintenance and court costs. My question is can I challenge this decision in the Irish courts?
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. At the outset, you need to realise that an Irish court cannot overturn the decision of an American court. You need to appear and deal with the issue in the context of the American proceedings. No Irish court will issue a decision seeking to overturn the American Decision. So you should instruct an American lawyer and appeal the American decision in America. Be aware that this American decision will be enforceable in Ireland against your wage and assets in Ireland. So it is essential that you challenge the American decision. Don't sit on your hands and do nothing because next thing you might find some of your assets being sequestered to pay off the liability incurred by virtue of the American decision. However, if you are happy with the American decision, then you do not have to challenge it. But as you seem to query it, you should get an American lawyer to represent you and to challenge the American decision in America as no Irish court will overturn this decision.