Ronan
Ronan, Solicitor
Experience:  B. Corp Law, Ll.B. Dip Comm Prop. In general practice for more then 6 years
33511193

Child maintenance to continue level education?

Customer Question

Hi. In a mediated settlement my ex-husband has agreed to pay me maintenance for our 2 daughters (16 and 17) until they finish 2nd level education @ €50 per child per week. They live with me 75% of the time. They both intend to go on to 3rd level. Should he continue to pay this amount into a college fund until they are finished 3rd level or until they are each 23? He earns €40,000 a year.I have no income. We have a joint asset of €145,000 cash. I am proposing that he continues to pay maintenance at the same rate and we divide the other college costs 60:40 with him paying the larger sum. Is this a fair division to both of us? Thank you for your advice.

Category: Republic of Ireland Law