Ronan
Ronan, Solicitor
Experience:  B. Corp Law, Ll.B. Dip Comm Prop. In general practice for more then 6 years
33511193

My calf was hit by a car on a public road, do I have to pay

My calf was hit by a car on a public road, do I have to pay for the damage to the car? What if I dont have any money? My calf was put down as a result so I am out of pocket as well.
Yes, you are responsible for all damage as a result of your animal being on the public road. This is a strict liability situation and there is no requirement for the persons whose car was damaged to show any negligence on your part. You are responsible for this man's car. The authoritive case for this is Kennedy-v-McCabe IRL1951

If you have public liability insurance for the lands and farm then your insurance company will pay

If you have no insurance and can't pay, it is most likely that the person will claim through their own car insurance company and that the insurance company well sue you for the loss. If they obtain judgement against you. The can secure their position in a number of ways including
1. Registering a mortgage over your lands
2. Seeking an installment order/committal order through the courts