cmcsolicitor
cmcsolicitor, Solicitor
Experience:  and Mediator practicing in Cork, Ireland.
71807589

Can a Manx resident (Isle of Man) emigrate and work in the

Customer Question

Can a Manx resident (Isle of Man) emigrate and work in the Republic of Ireland without a work permit (Common travel Area?)
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  cmcsolicitor replied 1 year ago.

cmcsolicitor :

Do you have a UK passport? I understand that, although the Isle of Man is not part of the UK or a member of the EU, its citizens are entitled to UK citizenship. If you claim your UK citizenship and get your UKI/EU passport, then the doors to Europe are certainly open to you.

cmcsolicitor :

Sorry that was meant to read UK/ EU passport

Customer:

I have a British Islands passport that states

‘THE HOLDER IS NOT ENTITLED TO BENEFIT FROM EC PROVISIONS RELATING TO EMPLOYMENT OR ESTABLISHMENT’

cmcsolicitor :

I understand that, on foot of the British Nationality Act of 1981 as amended by the British Overseas territories Act of 2002, citizens of the Isle of Man are entitled to become UK citizens.

Certainly, if you apply for and are granted UK citizenship and associated passport, then, as an EU citizen, you will be entitled to benefit from the EU treaty as to freedom of movement in the EU etc.

cmcsolicitor :

PS: If you encounter any difficulty in applying for your UK citizenship, and if you wish to consult a lawyer about that through this site, you should list that as a question for a UK lawyer (rather than under Republic of Ireland Law, which is how this question is listed).

cmcsolicitor, Solicitor
Experience: and Mediator practicing in Cork, Ireland.
Thanks for rating my answer positively. I hope the passport application goes smoothly for you.

Regards,
Claire McCarthy