Buachaill, Lawyer
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience

hi i was in court today not having motor insurance the policy

hi i was in court today not having motor insurance the policy had lapsed the day before. the case went well no complaints howver i felt the garda exceeded her authority while adressing the judge he asked her any convictions and she listed all my convictions not just motor convictions have i grounds to make a complaint?

Buachaill :

1. Whilst I appear it may seem to be bad form on the part of the Garda to list all previous convictions, I regret to say that there is nothing wrong in law with this occurring. Effectively a Garda is allowed to refer to ALL previous convictions when sentencing is in issue. There is no legal requirement that a Garda or the judge be limited to considering merely road traffic offences, when sentencing for a Road Traffic offence. The judge & the Garda is allowed to list all previous offences. Whilst most Gardai do not do this, but merely limit themselves to relevant offences, there is no legal requirement that this be the case.

Buachaill :

Please RATE the Answer positively so that I may get paid