Buachaill
Buachaill, Lawyer
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

Hi, I recently received a solicitors letter from a uk based

Customer Question

Hi, I recently received a solicitors letter from a uk based firm looking for payment of a debt in 14 days from date of letter. I owe about €10000 and due to financial reasons I have told in the company in the past that I could pay the debt off in instalments. The business (farming)I'm in suffered extreme financial hardship in 2012/early 2013 and I'm still trying to recover from it. The thing is I've paid €6000 of the total up to today but will not be able to pay rest till 20th of August, the question is should I write or email solicitor stating this or should I do nothing and just pay remainder next month which is after solicitors deadline?
Customer
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

Buachaill :

1. I would advise you to write to the UK based firm of solicitors and set out that whilst you are currently unable to pay the debt, you will be able to pay them on whatever date you will have the money. Essentially, the solicitor's firm will want to be able to say that progress is happening in relation to the file to the client. Accordingly, if you can state that more monies will be forthcoming, this gives a degree of comfort to the solicitor and client which will mean that legal proceedings will not be issued in the interim. At the end of the day, once you show that you will meet your debt obligations and it is only a question of when you will pay, this will make everyone much happier. So write to them.

Buachaill :

Please RATE the Answer positively so that I may get paid

Buachaill, Lawyer
Experience: Barrister 17 years experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Finally would it be ok to email or is it better to write
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
2. I would do both, on the basis that whilst an email can be said not to have been received, you can get a certificate of postage if you send it by mail, thereby ensuring there is no argument about it.