Buachaill, Lawyer
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience

hey my babys father is refusing to take a dna test because

Customer Question

hey my babys father is refusing to take a dna test because he is afraid his of his wedding being called of can i get his parents the grandparents of the child to take a kinship dna test in his place by a court order?
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 3 years ago.

Buachaill :

1. There is provision under the Statue of children Act, 1987, for a blood sample to be taken from any father of a child to determine parentage, by means of a DNA test. However, there is no provision for the taking of blood samples from grandparents or other people. Accordingly, if you wish to ascertain the parentage of your child, you can get a court order that the father provide a Blood sample for DNA purposes, but there is no statutory provision for the grandparents being forced to give a DNA sample, or to give a blood sample. So irrespective of the wedding, it is the father of the child who can be forced to give a blood or DNA sample and not anyone else.

Buachaill :

Please RATE the answer positively so that I may get paid