Ronan
Ronan, Solicitor
Experience:  B. Corp Law, Ll.B. Dip Comm Prop. In general practice for more then 6 years
33511193

Hi there,Could you please give me some advice on the below.In

Customer Question

Hi there,

Could you please give me some advice on the below.

In June my knee started swelling while at work. I am working in warehouse- manual job. I went sick from same day; I visited my GP on same day. He said that my knee is tired and need a rest. He said that after 2 weeks on 1st July I’ll be fit to return to work again. My employer made me an appointment with the Occupational Health (OH) Clinic, where the employer GP said that I should do lighter duty job. On 29th June I got a call from employer that I will not start work from 1st July and that I will have Welfare meeting with HR manager on 1st July. On that day the HR manager told me that the OH doctor said that I will be not fully fit to work for next 6 months and that so I will be sick for next 6 months as they can’t not promise the light duty job to me. On the same day I visited my GP, I showed him a report from OH doctor. My GP advised me to specialist. I got an appointment with the specialist on 4th July. Specialist told me that my knee is in good condition, the swelling is not presents anymore and that I am fully fit to return to work for all duties job. He gave me medical certificate where state the same. Same day I informed my GP so he provided me with Fit to return to work certificate from 8th July. I also informed my employer that I have ‘fully fit to return to work to all duties jobs’ certificate from my GP and from the Specialist from 8th July. I told them that I will bring those certificates on Monday 8th July, on the day when I will return to work. After 2 hour I got a call from my employer that I can’t come to work on 8th and that I have to wait until HR manager will call me. Today I have also received a letter from another specialist with witch has made contact the OH doctor. In these letter states that I have an appointment with this specialist on 5th September. HR department is closed over the weekend.
I am not getting paid at all time while I am out of work (while sick), without any explanation. I am only getting the sickness benefit from the Social Dept. This benefit will finish on 7th July as from 8th July I will be not sick anymore.
I have had another 2 same knee injuries at work for which I am in the middle process to get the claim. I think that my employer doesn’t want me to come back to work just because of the claim process.
Could you please help me and let me know what I should do now?
Should I go back to work on the 8th July at 6am when my shift will start or should I stay at home and just wait for the call from HR manager, he will start at work at 8am on Monday 8th.
Can my employer let me not come back to work from 8th July even if I have mentioned certificates from doctors?
Should I appeal against the OH doctor decision?
Or what should I do if I want to come back to work as soon as possible as I don’t want to stay without any income from Monday.
Thank you!
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 3 years ago.
I'm Fran, and I’m a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Fran. I didn't find my answer yet. I would like to continue waiting. Thank you!

Expert:  Fran-mod replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. We will continue to look for a professional to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Fran, I dont need any further assitance, I will wait for answer.

Expert:  Fran-mod replied 3 years ago.
Great! Thanks for the reply.
Expert:  Wendy-Mod replied 3 years ago.
Hello again,

We are still working with the Legal professionals to find you the best possible match. I wanted to touch base to see if you still needed a professional’s assistance.

Please let me know if you would like to continue to wait or if you would like to cancel your question at this time. We sincerely XXXXX XXXXX the extended wait time.

Thank you,
Wendy
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Wendy! I will continue to wait for answer. Thank you!

Expert:  Wendy-Mod replied 3 years ago.
Thank you again for your patience, we will continue to look for a professional to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.

Best,
Wendy
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Wendy, I dont need any further assistance now.

Expert:  Wendy-Mod replied 3 years ago.
You're welcome.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Wendy! Could I please ask for your assistance; I would like to cancel my question. Thank you!